Welcome to the Numeracy fundamentals module. As the name suggests, this module covers the fundamentals of key numerical concepts that may be required as part of your studies (and in your everyday life). You might find that some of the content is a refresher of things you have previously learnt, while some introduces you to concepts you have never learnt. Either way, the module is designed to provide you with an understanding not only of how to perform calculations, but of how the different concepts can be applied to real world examples.
You may wish to work your way through the entirety of the module in the order provided, or you may wish to jump to certain pages or sections of the module. There are also separate modules on Algebra and Statistics if you wish to delve deeper into either of these topics.
- How to use BIMDAS to solve problems involving multiple operations; round decimal numbers; perform calculations involving percentages, fractions, ratios, proportions and rates; and calculate simple averages (skip to Number and algebra).
- How to write and apply simple algebraic formulas (skip to Number and algebra).
- How to convert between units of measurement; solve problems involving distance, speed and time; and interpret directions (skip to Measurement and geometry).
- How to calculate the perimeter, area and volume of simple shapes (skip to Measurement and geometry).
- How to calculate and interpret key statistics for categorical and continuous data; interpret graphs; and write and interpret Excel formulas (skip to Statistics and probability).
- How to calculate probabilities and create sample spaces to solve probability problems (skip to Statistics and probability).