You can save your whole library, or part of it, as a compressed file so that you can:
- make a back-up copy
- email to a colleague
- work between different computers
To save a compressed library file in your USB:
- Go to File menu and select Compressed Library (.enlx).
- In the dialogue box that appears, you can choose to either Create the compressed library or Create & Email it.
- Choose other options as required.
- Click Next and save it at your desired location.
- If you selected the Create & Email option, your default email system will be launched with the compressed library file attached to it.
To restore your compressed library file:
- Find the saved library. Notice the library has an .enlx file extension indicating that it is a compressed library.
- Open your library. Notice the library now has an .enl file extension indicating that it has been uncompressed.
- You can now continue to add references whether you are on the same computer or working on a computer in a different location.
Working between different computers
- You have your library on your home computer
- You are now at University and you have added some references into a new EndNote library.
- You have saved this library as a compressed file (see above) to your USB
- Back on your home computer you can merge your library on the USB into your home library.
- Open the .enlx file on your USB (this will split into a .enl library and a .Data folder)
- To merge
- Open your home library
- From the File menu, select Import and File…
- At Import File: click on Choose… and navigate to the EndNote library on your USB and choose .enl file
- Click Open
- At Import Option: have EndNote Library selected.
- At Duplicates select Discard Duplicates and then click on Import.
Backing up with EndNote